Tuesday, February 20, 2007

whistler...mountain

So...Rachel and I had a little day trip to Whistler. Absolutely shattered from work this week, the staring at the computer thing really takes it out of you. Plus I went to my small group and even if I leave at a reasonable hour like 10.30, it still takes me a hour to get home. Anyway...the drive is beautiful, even though it was a bit foggy in places, and even better from the bus.

We arrived around 9am and had a massive breakfast - bacon, egg, toast oh soooooo Canadian. And we were served by a lovely girl with a cockney accent. The irony I felt sitting in a cafe the side of the world with an English friend and served by an English waitress!

Some of our friends are still in Whistler so we went to visit them after getting lost a few times round the village. It's small and easy to navigate but it was still early in the morning and I had only been to Whistler once before.

Then it was time for our SNOWBOARDING lesson. I haven't spoken to my parents since I returned so I haven't assured them that I am still in one piece but then I don't suppose they will worry, after all I'm not my accident prone brother!

After a few mishaps...arguing with Rachel about leaving our shoes at the rental place 'where anyone could steal them' - (quite honestly I couldn't see why anyone would want to steal my old trainers and her not-the-most-expensive Walmart shoes) and then leaving lesson tickets in a bag in Ste's work (Rachel) we managed to get on the slopes. Colin was our lovely (Swiss)instructor, and I think he knew we were going to be a handful as soon as he met us! The hardest part was getting used to having a massive great board strapped to both feet but Rachel and I rallied valiantly and managed to catch up with the others in the group (all of whom had doen some snowboarding before). Once we got going downhill though it was so fun, and I had prepared myself for not even being able to stand up so surpassed my own expectations for myself!

I'm hoping to go snowboarding again, although I ache sooooooooooo much today and we were only out for a couple of hours!I managed to almost wind myself by falling flat on my back a couple of times and wrenched my shoulder but all ok now!

Given the palava Rachel made about the shoes, it suddenly became hsyterically funny in the gondola on the way down that she had left her jeans in the rental shop changing room. we were crying with laughter as we rode down the mountain - and for the 6 other people in the gondola, the reputation of English girls may have become 'crazy'. But for those of you worrying that Rachel travelled back without her trousers, never fear - we found them. And just in case you were wondering why she took them off, it's cos she changed into ski (trousers) pants.

And now that is far too much information and she's NOT going to be happy with me!

1 Comments:

At 3:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very relieved you are back in one piece. Glad you had a great time. Love Mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home