Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Blessed are the poor

I know the beatitudes seem to be the biggest paradox in the world, but it struck me even more when i was looking at some pictures of Russian people, who just seemed so desperate. One woman said that she would like to not live anymore but die quickly.

I know so little about Russia; it is cold in Siberia, they drink vodka, they speak Russian.When one of my friends from college told me her sister was going out there for 6 months for part of a gap year, I was puzzled. I didn't think it held many attractions, it's not like Australia for example. What was so good about Russia?

How narrow-minded of me. A country which is not like ours is always going to be interesting, particularly if it's not first world. And as i browsed the photos i felt a strange fascination for the people so different from me. A country with such a tormented history: even in the last century, Communism, Roman Abramovich, and ultimately poverty.


>Hosted by Photobucket.com

More pictures by Simon Roberts - http://www.simoncroberts.com/simonroberts.html




4 Comments:

At 8:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are the beatitudes the biggest paradox?

 
At 9:51 am, Blogger Claire said...

maybe it should be paradigm?

becos it goes against so much of what we are used to - i mean "Blessed are the poor" isnt what Tony Blair goes round to bump up his polls is it?

ps. just wondering if you have any other name?

 
At 10:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sort of understand what you mean.... I think... no...having read the definition in the dictionary I don't!

There is a nice bit in my NIV study Bible on the beatitudes, might have to post that when I get home...

I also know someone who spent a year in Moscow on a year out, sounded pretty cool to me.

you know me, my name and my email address... you just have to think...

 
At 7:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not going to cover your lovely blog in my random thoughts... I stuck my email at the bottom of a text the other day... email me if you want to muse this further

 

Post a Comment

<< Home