suffering men appreciation post
I feel really really sorry for those poor souls who have to shop with their girlfriends. Em and I went shopping the other day and were on a bit of a girly clothes shopping mission. As we strode through the perfume department in Debenhams (take a deep breath before you go into this particular shop and don't take another until you're well into a clothes section - oxygen has been substituted for perfume), I spotted some of these lost souls. If you're ever feeling like you need to reassert your power over men (goodness what an insight into my subconscious just exposed there!) go shopping on a saturday. They jump to the side in fashionable clothes shops, anxious that they are in the way, unsure as to shopping protocol. Hanging around outside changing rooms with guilty looks on their faces, as if they've done something wrong. Honestly, I've seen similar looks in the crown court. A hunted look in their eyes: they wait for the dreaded question which they know will be forthcoming when their other half appears from the cubicle WHAT DO YOU THINK? Lingerie sections are the funniest. They simply don't know where to look. In the area surrounding the changing room is the worst for them, what's worse than bras on hangars? Women in a queue holding bras on hangars.If they see another guy, caught in those same headlights there is at least some relief, mutual sympathy and solidarity looks are exchanged, whatever their age, status, chaviness.I have myself, on occasion, subjected guys to this sort of tortuous challenge before. But at least I'm usually aware of this experience being the dichotomy of extreme pleasure (most girls)/pain comparable to drowning (almost all men), so I try not to prolong it, or avoid lingerie anyway!
also ...
I didn't realise quite how aggressive I can be when I talk to strangers. One such incident happened in the pub the other day...
C, E, V and J were sitting in a beer garden. The barman is collecting glasses and asks us if we'd like to have the outside speakers on so we can hear the music that's being played inside the pub.
C: Ok that's cool, how loud will it be? Is it good music?
BM (Barman): Um...
C: What kind of music is it?
BM: not sure
C: well do you like it?
BM: (looks slightly unsure)
C: well that would be cool. yes please we'd like music.
Now that's my recollection of the incident. If anyone would like to put forward a different version, please email me or post a comment. But I was scolded for about 5 minutes for "interrogating" the "poor man" and generally "being intimidating".
Apology to all men who have suffered such.

1 Comments:
The Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams uses place names to give names to various things that don't yet have a word of their own. "Dolgellau", my home town, is used to describe those small, embarrassed clusters of men hanging around outside a women's lingerie shop as they wait for their wife/girlfriend, or words to similar effect, which is pretty much the same phenomenon.
Post a Comment
<< Home