People i know, places i go...
Instead of posting as "I did this and that and then..." i thought I'd just pick a few people that I've encountered and places that I've visited, and tell you a little about them.Reene
Reene was my boss for my first proper working experience in Vancouver: last week. After working at the football game - that was just one night, I was given by my lovely temping agency (yes they can be lovely!) a job as a shop assistant, a small kids designer clothing boutique called SCL kids. It's owned and run by Reene, and my prediction is that she will succeed. She is bubbly and knows what the customers want. Plus she's from England! She had the confidence to trust me with her shop for hours at a time.That didn't come out quite right. I mean taught me the basics and I was in charge. Never felt like that before!
Arash
I spoke to Arash when we found a 6 bed place with 3 spaces posted on our much loved, much perused classifieds website. He sounded like a nice guy on the phone and we arranged a viewing. Then it fell through, something to do with the landlady. When he phoned me back a few days later asking if we were still looking for a place, we were excited because our options were running low. We loved the place and he was enthusiastic about us potentially. Only problem was the other 2 girls who would be living there. When they finally decided on other people he was so apologetic about messing us around. Ne'er mind.
Stephen
Stephen works in the hostel. He should have a medal, we have pestered him non-stop, asking him every question under the sun: the favourite topic being... bus routes. Other typical conversations include: dodgy areas in Vancouver (so we know not to live there), jokes about our permanent residency at the hostel, his place of birth, how long it takes to walk places and many other things which are not really relevant to everyday life. at all.
Yen
Yen was a potential landlord: his memorable oddity was his description of the flooring that our feet would be privileged enough to walk on: a prototype: made of rubber that looked like wood and felt like carpet. Me and Rachel are laughing even now, two weeks later.
Neal A......
One of the advisers at the investment banking place that I'm working at. He offered me a job as an assistant when he next was hiring (some time next year), when I'd been there 2 days, especially if I got a certain course under my belt. Considerable encouragment, particularly since I'd spent at least 2 hours on a task, still not finished and slightly less than perfect! He's not my boss, but technically I work for him as support staff.
The Two Parrots
A (straight) pub on Davie St, which has served us many a pitcher of Kokanee (local lager). A very drunk girl offered to take us to a strip club (declined!) and Rachel and I managed to agree to go to a gig with Paul and knew nothing about it! So Paul says! Good times.
Tenth Avenue
It's a, well, street but also is the name of the church I went to last week. Good teaching, worship quite lively, but not exactly what I'm used to. I've felt slightly rebuked at all three churches that I've been to here. Canadian preaching doesn't shy away from criticism - which I have really appreciated since I've been here. Even though it was a bit different to what is familiar to me, it's definitely a contender for the title of Church To Settle Down In. But it's going to be a tough decision.
Yvonna
My employer's rep. She works for the temp agency and she is lovely. English and still sounding like it. She got me the brilliant job I'm in now, and was very complimentary towards me when she interviewed me.
Love her.
Hussain
Hussain is an example of one of the many many people in Vancouver that I've had merely a transactional conversational relationship with. Shop assistants, waitresses, bank tellers, newspaper sellers. He served us at Pita Pit, a fabulous chain which sells us pitta bread filled with lots of scrummy foods. He noticed our accent and asked us many a question, always with a smile and a discussion of English things. Wayne Rooney was Hussain's particular interest. He didn't like him, I forget why but we agreed and he said goodbye with the compulsory "Have a good day"
More tomorrow...
And here is a picture of me- as requested by Rachael- taken by Mark!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home